Unit A - Module Overview
Ensuring an effective curriculum that is stimulating and tailored to the needs of the 21st-century learner is one of the most exciting and creative aspects of the role of the headteacher or principal.
This module will help you prepare for leadership of the design, development, implementation and evaluation of the curriculum. Drawing on research findings and international perspectives, you will learn how, in their contexts, leaders can make the most appropriate and innovative use of their autonomy and freedoms, as well as linking with parents, and community and business partners to provide a rich and stimulating curriculum for their pupils.
The Purpose Of This Module
This module will focus on how to lead the development and implementation of a flexible curriculum that includes the national curriculum. The curriculum should ensure that all pupils achieve their full academic potential and improve their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
The module covers curriculum design, development and delivery, and investigates the importance of effective systems of assessment for monitoring, supporting and improving pupils’ progress.
What Leaders Will Know On Successful Completion Of The Module
On completion of this module, participants will have learned about:
- Curriculum design, evaluation and review including curriculum-based budgeting.
- Curriculum analysis and international comparisons.
- National curriculum requirements, including reading through synthetic phonics and teaching of subjects.
- Curriculum links 3–19, including careers guidance and advice.
- The use of curriculum freedoms to improve pupil attainment.
- Statutory accountabilities in relation to the curriculum.
- Formative and summative assessment.
What Leaders Will Be Able To Do On Successful Completion Of The Module
On completion of this module, participants will know how to:
- lead curriculum design and development across the school, based on a robust diagnosis of the needs of the school and its context and designed to deliver high standards for pupils
- Use curriculum freedoms to improve pupil attainment.
- Work with teachers across the school to provide a curriculum focused on excellence.
- Deploy the principles and practice of curriculum-based budgeting.
- Build effective partnerships with other schools to improve the curriculum offer.
- Establish an assessment framework that provides both formative and summative judgements that help pupils learn.
- Secure appropriate advice and guidance so pupils make the best possible curricular and career choices.
- Use technology to enhance and improve teaching.
Who Is It For?
This is an elective module for Level 3 of the leadership curriculum, aimed at individuals who aspire to lead an organisation. As an aspiring head, you will be thinking about how you will approach this topic when appointed to headship.
What Will Be Covered?
There are six sections in this module:
- Introduction and overview.
- The changing nature of the curriculum.
- Creating a curriculum for excellence.
- Leading curriculum change.
- Reviewing key messages: shaping the future.
- Review, analysis and reflection.
Share Your Thoughts On Twitter
Use the hashtag #inspiringQH6 to share your thought on the module using Twitter. Tweets using this hashtag will show up on the right hand side of the module. Click on the hashtag to view them all.